PLEASE NOTE

All photos, poetry, posts, all content is protected by copyright and may not be used unless otherwise indicated in my post, for example a free pattern or craft directions. All rights reserved by Author © Kerrie O'Hearn Marquart 2009 - 2018

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Pack Rat, Hoarders and the organizationally challenged....


I HAVE BECOME MY MOTHER..... I was happily reading Beverly's post at How Sweet the Sound about having a yard sale.  It ocurred to me that she has the same problem that so many of us have.  Especially if you are a craft person.  My Mom had every craft supply imaginable.  Stopping by to visit her was like going to the craft store.  I never left without instruction books, yarn, a new crochet needle, etc.  She loved to share both her knowledge and her supplies.  But it made every cupboard, closet, cubby holes and surrounding her chair, the epitomy of clutter and hoarding!  She would buy little things like greeting cards and a pack of needles and not be able to find them when the occasion came and went or when she needed the needles and would have to buy more.  Later on, she would be checking her chest of drawers for something else and announce, there's that card and needles!  They are still in the bag!  She lived to be ninety and never changed.  I am 32 years younger than my Mother.  I showed signs of suffering from this same malady when I was in my thirties.  I worry that my children like Beverly's son will be left to deal with all my storage bins, craft supplies, paperwork, photographs, videos, clothes, knick-knacks, etc.
   I once bought my husband an Easter card about 3 yrs. ago.  We have not found it yet.  I know that I bought copper tape at the craft store that I desperately needed, came home, put it away.  And haven't seen it since.  This happens a lot lately.  Things that make you go, "hmmm!"
  I picture the children ordering a long deep dumpster in which to throw boxes and boxes of my legacy!  Their friends will ask, did your Mom leave you well off?  And the answer will be, "No, she left us crafts and craft supplies."   Did she leave you her house?, "No, she left us the shell of a house with a craft store inside."   Surely she must have had life insurance! "No, she pre-paid her funeral expenses and left us the paperwork and the urn."  How about clothing, she was of small stature, like you?  "No, she left some skirts that she wore when she was young and wore a size 6.  She was waiting until she could fit into them again."  Didn't she leave you anything that you are happy about?? "No, she left me her addiction, want to see my closets, attic, garage?" NO! 

My Crafty Mama
by
Kerrie O'Hearn Marquart
I love you so my little Mama
I miss the smiles, the hugs, the drama
That happened when you were here before,
And a surprise awaited behind every door...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The above photograph was taken on June 6, 1929 and was my Mother's Wedding Day.  Notice the Flapper style dress she is wearing and the bowl hat.  I treasure this picture.
All rights reserved
Kerrie O'Hearn Marquart
2008-2009

1 comment:

The Feathered Nest said...

Oh Kerrie, what a wonderful post!!! I find myself doing those exact same things!!! I try so hard to be organized and keep my things in the same spots :) Thank you so much for stopping by to see me, xxoo, Dawn