PLEASE NOTE

All photos, poetry, posts, all content is protected by copyright and may not be used unless otherwise indicated in my post, for example a free pattern or craft directions. All rights reserved by Author © Kerrie O'Hearn Marquart 2009 - 2018

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

ATTRACTING BALTIMORE ORIOLES

I thought this article in Birds and Blooms was so interesting that I had to share!  I love Orioles and had heard you could attract them with Oranges but I did not know about the jelly!


Baltimore Oriole

Few birds can match the bold coloring of the male Baltimore oriole. With it's signature black and orange feathers, it's no wonder so many people want this flier at their feeders. Learn how to attract a Baltimore oriole to your yard, and listen to its song.

Baltimore Oriole
Photo: Roland Jordahl
Baltimore Oriole map
    • Scientific Name: Icterus galbuba.
    • Family: Blackbird.
    • Length: 8-3/4 inches.
    • Wingspan: 11-1/2 inches.
    • Distinctive Markings: Male has full black hood and fire-orange plumage. Female is drab yellow with dusky-brown wings.
    • Nest: Woven bag-like structure.
    • Song: Short series of clear whistles in varied pattern.
    • Habitat: Deciduous woodlands, parks and suburbs.
    • Diet: Mostly insects and berries.
    • Backyard Favorites: Comes to feeding stations for sugar water, halved oranges nailed to posts and grape jelly.
I have been working in the yard

 this morning trying to get things 

done before the real heat comes-

ha!  I have one tomato growing 

on the plant so far and 1 pepper -

ha!  No salad yet! :)



Thank you for coming and do come again soon!

My wild heart to yours...



1 comment:

Needled Mom said...

The orioles are one of my favorite birds. We have them March through Sept. and we have both the Baltimore and the Hooded orioles at our feeders all day. I just use a sugar and water mixture 1 part to 3 and we have an abundance of them. They never cared much for my oranges.