PLEASE NOTE

All photos, poetry, posts, all content is protected by copyright and may not be used unless otherwise indicated in my post, for example a free pattern or craft directions. All rights reserved by Author © Kerrie O'Hearn Marquart 2009 - 2018

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Cactus

My Christmas Cactus are all blooming or in the process of blooming!  I love them all.  My Mom gave a slip from one of hers and I keep starting others now, too.
These Christmas Cactus are very easy to root and grow rapidly.




The color is so vivid.




This one has a very different leaf than the others.  I have had this plant since the early 60's.  Our doctor friend's sister gave me a small one from an enormous one she said she had since the doc was a little boy!  I have had to restart with slips but no matter how much I cut it up, it always comes back.  The blossoms are deep red and are just beginning to show.


  There are some plants that cannot be left to the elements because we do get some freezing temps here in SC in winter.  Right now they are on the back porch but will have to be wrapped or brought in soon.  
















The one on the left is the Tai plant from Hawaii that is started from a piece of waxed root.  My hubby bought this for me when we were dating at the NYS Fair.  It is a beautiful plant and though it has met with mishaps, it has always come back.  I love it.  It is now 52 yrs. old.  


The begonia is the one that blew into the lake and turtles were chowing down on it.  But as you can see, it survived and grew nicely.  In the back is my Crown of Thorns plant that my Mom started for me more than 23 yrs. ago.  It is about 3 foot tall with "drops of blood" blossoms as the legend goes.


   I would love to see your plants that you have had for years.  Tip on Christmas Cactus, they need 12 hours of darkness to bloom and that is why I leave them on the back porch as long as I can.  If I do have to bring it in, I put it in the guest bedroom that when unused is dark.
  Thanks for coming as always. And have a very Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I didn't know they needed 12 hours of dark to bloom. I have very sad memories of Christmas cactus. I also just recently found out they come in other colors, not just red! Your first color is amazingly beautiful! Can you tell what color they will be when you buy them?

Amy said...

Beautiful! My Christmas cactus usually blooms now, but it's not this year:( Thank you for sharing your lovely photos so I could enjoy yours!

Buttercup said...

How lovely. I have a plant my mother bought when I was in high school, so it's going on 45 years and still doing okay. Keeping you and Bill in my prayers!

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Lovely, Kerrie, my two Christmas Cactus have blossomed in abundance this year. I will have to re-pot them in the new year.

Have a wonderful day.
Yvonne.

Sheila said...

Love the pictures of your plants. My Christmas cactus are finally blooming this year too. I love mine too. I read another blog the other day that mentioned a yellow Christmas cactus so I'm on the lookout for one of those now!! I didn't know they were so easy to root. Thanks for the info!! Take care.