PLEASE NOTE

All photos, poetry, posts, all content is protected by copyright and may not be used unless otherwise indicated in my post, for example a free pattern or craft directions. All rights reserved by Author © Kerrie O'Hearn Marquart 2009 - 2018

Monday, July 18, 2011

The Elusive Green Heron

This is a Green Heron
Hubby took this picture of him one morning creeping along the lake bank.  The name is deceiving as the green is not to be seen except a tiny bit when sun is hitting the rich blueish colors on the back of his head.  These birds are very shy and flee when seeing humans with their cameras.  This species is a small heron that dines on fish in freshwater lakes and salt water.  He is very stealthy as he stays low to the ground and looks for his prey in the water. 

   Then another day, my daughter was able to snap these great pictures while her Dad was napping.  I think they are beautiful!  Green Herons are 14 inches long and their wingspan is 25 inches.
They have a crested head but I have never observed one with the crest raised.


His leg coloring is bright yellow


The lake level is very low from lack of rainfall and he is enjoying the bank where he can walk close to the water's edge.

I love this one as he has spied something!

See how closely he blends in with the mud, twigs, new grass growth on what is normally under water.
The Green Heron is truly a beautiful creature!  I feel so fortunate that we are able to see these wonderful birds up close and personal. 
  Yesterday, there were 4 Whooping Cranes right at the edge of the yard along the lake.  By the time we discovered them and got the camera, they all took flight!  So beautiful!  Maybe we can catch them next time.  Thank you so much for coming by to share our wildlife and do come again soon.



8 comments:

Claudia said...

I've never seen a Green Heron, Kerrie! What a beautiful bird.

xo
Claudia

Amy said...

What great pictures. I'd never even heard of a green heron--only blue herons. Guess it really is elusive:) Loved reading about it.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I've seen a white Heron but not green, this was a spectacular set of photo;s Thanks for sharing.
Take care.


Ps My book you bought on Amazon has turned up on Ebay with a different IBSN NUMBER seems someone has had them reprinted without my consent. Someone over here, I am trying to sort it out.
Yvonne.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wonderful captures, I so enjoyed looking! The color is so different in each picture!! And I must say that he looks a bit like Groucho Marx in the first picture, perhaps his posture...I'm loving the matching feet and eyes!

Jeanne said...

Hi Kerrie, I too have not visited much this summer. I'm trying hard to visit more. I miss my blogging friends.

You photos of the green heron are outstanding. I also like reading about the nature of them. They are very colorful yet they do blend in with nature so well.
Thanks for sharing these lovely birds with us.
Hugs, Jeanne

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I've never seen a small Heron like that. Those are really great photos!

Donna said...

He is truly beautiful! How nice to be able to enjoy all these wonderful birds.

Enjoy your day, Kerrie!
Hugs,
Donna

Doris Sturm said...

I've never seen a green Heron around here ... that was very interesting and I enjoyed looking at the photos - you do have a nice variety of water fowl visiting your place. That is always a very soothing and peaceful activity to bird watch, isn't it?